The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences is a professional association dedicated to the advancement of television and related electronic media and best known for its Emmy Awards that recognize excellence in a number of categories. The Academy also sponsors programs, seminars, and scholarships for high school and colleges in cities served by the 19 local chapters. In addition, the National Organization, through its non-profit Foundation, awards scholarships to outstanding high school seniors who intends to pursue a baccalaureate degree in communications with emphasis on any aspect of the television industry.
- The Randy Falco Scholarship ($10,000) — Awarded to a Hispanic or Latino student pursuing a career in any aspect of the television industry.
- The Jim McKay Memorial Scholarship ($10,000) — Awarded to a student pursuing a career in sports television.
- The Douglas W. Mummert Scholarship ($10,000) – Awarded to a student pursuing a career in any aspect of the television industry, who has made a positive impact through community service.
- The Mike Wallace Memorial Scholarship ($10,000) — Awarded to a student pursuing a career in television journalism.
- The NATAS Trustees’ Scholarship ($10,000) — Awarded to a student pursuing a career in any aspect of the television industry.
This is the fourth year of the Mike Wallace Memorial Scholarship, funded by a five-year grant from CBS News in honor of longtime correspondent Mike Wallace (1918-2012) and presented each year at the News & Documentary Emmy® Awards. The Jim McKay Memorial Scholarship, now in its seventh year, honors sportscaster Jim McKay (1921-2008) and was established in 2009 by the HBO, CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX networks. It is presented at the Sports Emmy® Awards each May.
Applications for national scholarships are due by 5 pm EST on Tuesday, February 28, 2017. Final deadline has been extended to Sunday, March 5, 2017.
NATAS Trustees and officials with the National Scholarship Committee will review applications and creative works along with participation from UCI on the Randy Falco Scholarship. Final selections for all scholarships will be made in late April.
NATAS also offers regional chapter scholarships click here to locate your regional chapter.